Swing Top Growler
Every great home brewed beverage needs an equally great storage vessel to hold it. Growlers of all shapes and sizes have become some of the most popular bottling options for both home and craft brewers. These bottles are especially useful when they feature a simple swing top closure. Unlike other types of vessels, there are no caps to purchase or screw tops to lose between uses. Adding a few of these versatile bottles to your collection will help you handle any brewing project with ease.
Advantages of Swing Top Growlers
The durability and classic style of a growler makes it an ideal decoration for any bachelor pad or family brewing room. If you plan to put your bottles to use, you will enjoy advantages like:
- Reusable – Many pubs and craft brewers allow customers to return empty growlers for cleaning and refilling. The swing top makes this even easier because there's no need for buying new caps every time you bottle a new batch.
- Variety of Sizes – Unlike many long necked bottles used by home brewers, it's easy to find growlers that can hold a pint, a quart or even a full gallon of your beverage at once.
- Amber Glass – Growlers are available in both clear and amber glass if you are concerned about light contact.
- Handles – Many large growlers feature a small handle worked into the glass on one side of the neck for easier lifting and carrying.
- Durability – Thick glass walls offer protection in case you set the bottle down a little hard on your hard kitchen counter top.
- Tight Seals – A swing top closure provides a tight seal as long as the wire arms are not bent or damaged. This keeps oxygen and other contaminants out of your beverage.
Uses for Swing Top GrowlersMost home brewers purchase these growlers to bottle their favorite beers. However, these versatile vessels can hold a variety of other beverages. Many coffee shops now sell their best cold brew drinks in large growlers so customers can enjoy a caffeine rush for a few days. Other beverages commonly bottled into swing top growlers include kombucha and other fermented drinks. Even homemade root beer or ginger ale can be poured into one of these bottles for short term storage. A hearty growler of your best beverage makes an ideal gift for any friend or family member.
Brewing Your Own Beer
Many beer aficionados go into their local supermarket and are appalled by the lack of truly excellent beers that are available. There may be some token exotic brands, but they may have been sitting on the shelf way past their prime drinking phase.
A wine and beer shop is a good place to get exposure to interesting beers that you may never see in a regular grocery store. You might have to go to a special pub in your community to find good beers, or even leave the country to get beers closer to the source.
A solution to the problem of lackluster beer is to brew your own. Home brewing is not only a fun hobby. You learn about the science of beer making, and figure out what types of flavor profiles you enjoy the most. Home brewers can experiment to their heart’s content, knowing that a great beer can take time to develop and master.
Sharing with Friends and Family
One of the most pleasant aspects of brewing beer at home is presenting it as a gift to your loved ones. You might have made so much beer that you aren’t sure that you could possibly finish it all in a reasonable time. It’s also more fun to share the fruits of your labors with other people who will appreciate the kinds of beer you like to brew.
Before giving out cases of beer to your favorite people, it’s a good idea to hold periodic beer sampling parties. This is when you invite a group over and pour small glasses of several beers so that everyone can taste your latest efforts. Take note of which beers your companions seem to enjoy the most. This will guide you to selecting beers that deserve further development.
That’s where German style homebrew bottles come in so handy. They make a great container for the beer that you want to give to your friends and family members who appreciate an artisan beer.
- High Grav Growler Review by aufrankie
- Very nice flask Review by Kevin
I was surprised the flask wasn't round - it's more oblong, about 1.5 - 2" wide - but that was just an assumption on my part.
Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase. (Posted on 1/28/14)
- perfect for the guy who has everything Review by brewmaster
thanks NB.. you guys rock (Posted on 12/8/12)