Review Details

Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract Kit

Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract Kit

Product Review (submitted on April 26, 2014):
Just bottled today so I will leave another review in a week when I get a taste.

Let me first say that this is/was my first 5gal batch, having just moved up from 3 batches of mr. beer kits.

I went with the Wyeast 3068 after reading the reviews here. It came in a smack pack, which took quite a few smacks because I didn't want to accidentally pop the whole bag at first. The pack was completely ballooned in about 2 hours. I pitched after about 3 hours.

Woke up the next morning and had steady bubbles coming through the airlock. Came back from work that day and the airlock was getting overwhelmed. I watched as it started to get clogged up. Since this was my first batch, I didn't know how to set up a blow off tube. Originally, I took the 6' tube that connects to the auto siphon and taped it to the top of the airlock, with it ending in a pot half full of sanitizer water. That didn't last long because the weight of the tube was pulling the airlock to the side and the tape wasn't working for various reasons as well. So I just took the airlock off and put the tube straight into the bung. That worked out well, and I'll probably do that for now on. The blow off setup was only needed for another 24 hours at most, but I left it for 2 or 3 days to be safe. After that, I cleaned the airlock and continued with that.

I kept in primary a total of 18 days, but it could have been bottled much sooner. Maybe even as early as 8 or 9 days. I was hoping the banana aroma would punch me in the nose, but it was moderate. That might have to do with my inconsistent fermentation temperature. I ended up with 4.5 gallons, 1 of which I am aging/conditioning (maybe with orange peels). 3.5 gallons should be ready for drinking in about a week.