You are shopping Northern Brewer US shopping site, to view our Canadian shopping site - Click Here
- Product Details
- Brewed with South African hops so groundbreaking and rare, they’ve only been used by a handful of American homebrewers before. Presenting Alpha Leonis Stout...an amazingly complex recipe created by our own brewmasters to showcase exclusive 34° Latitude hops, now available from the hop farmers of South Africa in an extremely limited release.
Specially cultivated to withstand the unique growing conditions of South African hop farms at the 34th parallel, these near-mythical hops have captured the attention of brewers around the world. And our brewmasters crafted the perfect stout recipe to highlight their most sought-after qualities.
Named for the brightest star in the ancient constellation Leo, Alpha Leonis Stout is our tribute to the unique tropical stout style brewed in the warmer climates of the southern hemisphere. Flavored with rare Southern Star hops and dark crystal malts for a warming rum-like flavor with hints of coffee and chocolate, Alpha Leonis is truly a one-of- a-kind brew in every way.
- Style: Tropical Stout/Export Stout
- Fermentation Range: 66 - 72F
- OG: 1.065
- SRM: 37
- IBUs: 55
- ABV: 6.4%
- Medium-high roast
- Moderately sweet
- Rum-like notes
- Medium body
- Long, slightly bitter finish
- Additional Information
Beer Kit Yield 5 Gallons Recipe and Instructions Click here for Alpha Leonis Extract Kit Instructions Regional Style No Original Gravity 1065 Total Time to Make 6 weeks
- 5.0 / 5.01 ReviewOne of the best beersI initially thought of some of the well known beers I've tried, however this might have come close to exceeding even those. It's creamy, has the dry "Irish cream" quality from the hops, and is simply an overall great beer. I can't recall if I used an Omega English Ale III yeast, or if this was made with Safale, and it may have been made with a starter. It is comparable to the smoothness from aging a 'Northy 12' for 3 months. I should also note that I am something of an astronomy nerd, so this did appeal to me on that level, however even this beer surprised me somewhat.May 18, 2017Purchased
6 months ago
- Browse 4 questions Browse 4 questions and 3 answersAny idea as to THE IBU's in this brew? Or the approximates alcohol %?BEST ANSWER: In the test system it came in at about 6.4% ABV and 60 IBUs.I got a higher than expected original gravity (1.076), instead of 1.065. Could this be that I have less water? And will this increase alcohol content of my final product?BEST ANSWER: Yes, if it is more diluted that would cause a high reading and more alcohol in the end.The instructions for this kit indicates adding 3.15 lbs. dark malt syrup and 1 lb. DME with 15 minutes left in the boil. Once those are added, do I bring the pot back up to boil and then boil for the remaining 15 minutes, or keep the timer running even though adding the ingredients will stop the boil and let the 60 minute time run out even if the pot doesn't return to a full boil? I am using an electric stove to boil. Thanks!BEST ANSWER: You want to keep the timer running during adding the dme/lme.would the omega hot head or omega tropical yeast go well with this beer?
You may also be interested in: