This beer recipe was created by Eric Harper, brewer at Summit Brewing Company. It was brewed for and will be served as part of a collaboration with the Minneapolis Institute of Arts as part of its "Supper with Shakespeare" event, "Tudor Keg Party!"
Watch this video to learn more about Harper's inspiration. Then brew your own version of the Tudor Ale from the recipe below.
- 5 Gallon Batch Size (scaled for 70% efficiency)
- O.G: 1.046
- F.G: 1.012
- BUs: 15
- 7.25 lbs. Crisp Maltings Floor Malted Organic Pale Malt
- 1.2 lbs Simpson’s Crystal Medium
- 0.5 oz Simpson’s Black
MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
- Sacch’ Rest: 154° F for 45 minutes
- Mashout: 172° F for 5 minutes
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
- 60-minute boil
- 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings (55 min)
- 2.5 oz Honey (50 min)
- 0.1 oz Fresh Sage, chopped (5 min)
- Wyeast 1028 London Ale
- Fermentation Temp: 68° F
- One week primary fermentation
- “Dry-hop” with 0.5 oz dried sage for one week.
- Two weeks bottle conditioning