Hula Hop'd Coconut Milkshake IPA Recipe Kit
The Milkshake IPA is a tasty variant of a Hazy New England IPA style, with an added bonus: an extensive amount of non-traditional ingredients that create sensations reminiscent of your childhood diner's milkshake. This recipe kit has an amazing depth of flavor: coconut and vanilla, added during fermentation, and tropical notes of pineapple, peach, mango and passionfruit, driven by Galaxy and Mosaic hops coupled with a unique yeast strain. To wrap it all together, lactose, added straight to the boil, produces creaminess and subtle dairy-like sweetness. Some of these ingredients are in tight supply, so try it out today.
DISCLAIMER: Northern Brewer is not liable for any intense daydreams of crystal-clear waves and sand in your toes that may result from pouring a pint of Hula Hop’d Coconut Milkshake IPA. This beer is truly a vacation in a glass.
- Style: Specialty IPA
- Fermentation Range: 65-80°F
- Original Gravity: 1.060
- SRM: 3
- IBUs: 35
- ABV: 6.4%
- Aroma: Complex aromas of coconut, vanilla and tropical fruits. Faint, clean cracker malt notes.
- Appearance: Light golden in color with considerable haze and a dense, lasting brilliantly white foam head.
- Flavor: Huge varieties of flavors prominently dominated by a combination of coconut and hop and yeast-driven fruity tones of pineapple, mango, passion fruit and peach. Low to moderate bitterness is balanced with undertones of slight vanilla and lactose sweetness.
- Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-high body with considerable mouthfeel and creaminess. Sips smoothly and lingers on the palate well after swallowing.
These days, New England IPAs are all the rage and it is only natural that creative brewers have adapted this new style to include a variant of its very own - The Milkshake IPA. Attributed to a Swedish brewery, Milkshake IPAs have gained popularity in the US at a staggering rate and show no signs of slowing. This recipe is defined by the use of lactose in the boil, low bitterness, massive hop flavor, and fermentor additions meant to simulate flavors of the classic milkshake. Hula Hop’d Coconut Milkshake IPA is our rendition on this emerging variant. Utilizing lactose and vanilla gives this recipe its signature mouthfeel and flavor, while large late and post-boil hop additions provide prominent tropical fruit flavors of mango and passion fruit. The unique yeast paired with this recipe serves to provide even more fruit flavors of pineapple and peach, while leaving a significant haze, another hallmark of this style. Towards the end of fermentation, yet more Mosaic and Galaxy are added along with coconut to round out the intricately complex flavor profile. There is a lot going on in this beer and it may seem like an odd mix of ingredients, but the result is anything but odd - it’s truly delicious and some have said that it reminds them of a pina colada. Do you like getting caught in the rain?
|Total Time to Make||6 weeks|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|