Grainfather Connect - Self Contained Electric All Grain Beer Brewing System
The Grainfather allows you to mash, sparge, boil and cool, all in one fully electric, self-contained system. Now includes the Connect Controller. You can take direct control of the Grainfather with your iPhone or Android using Bluetooth. Use the Connect Control Box in conjunction with the Connect App for the ultimate brewing experience.
The Grainfather is an all-in-one All-Grain brewing system designed to declutter your brew cave and put everything you need in one compact package. No need to take your craft outside, with this fully electric system you are safe to brew indoors!
The Grainfather system is the perfect brewing companion for both new and experienced All-Grain brewers looking to streamline the brewday experience.
Please allow 1-3 weeks for delivery, as The Grainfather will ship directly from the manufacturer via FedEx Ground.
The Grainfather features:
- Full Five Gallon Batch Capacity
- 304-grade stainless steel superior body, with 8 US Gal (30 L) capacity
- Expandable grain basket to suit grain bills up to 19.8 lbs (9kg)
- A robust magnetic drive pump (6 watt, 1800 RPM) and wort recirculation pipe with insulated handle, ensuring consistent temperatures throughout the mash and maximizing efficiencies
- Pump filter to keep hops and stray grain in the boiler, and your wort clear and bright
- Counterflow Wort Chiller with copper inner coil, cooling your wort to <68°F within 20mins
- Toughened plastic control box and display screen, giving you total temperature and pump control. Dial in the exact temperature for your mash, allowing both step mashing and single temperature mashing with very fast ramp up between steps
- Dual heating element (1600 watt and 600-watt elements) allowing you to switch between heating quickly to a vigorous boil and maintaining a stable temperature
- Tempered glass lid for maximum durability, heating efficiencies and visibility during your brewday
- Top and bottom mesh screens for your grain basket, allowing even distribution of your sparge water and ensuring no grain enters the boiler
- Dimensions: 29" H x 19.1" L x 17.2" W
|Support Documents||Click here for documents|
|Support Documents - Instructions||Click here for instructions|
New Connect Controller Details:Automation without removing the fun of brewing, be as involved as you want to be! More automation means you can multitask or simply relax while brewing and then be alerted when to return for your next step. Use the Connect Control Box in conjunction with the Connect App for the ultimate brewing experience.
Connect Controller Instructions
Control Box Features:
- Bluetooth connection to your mobile device so it can be controlled remotely
- PID algorithm works in conjunction with a triac for more stable heating and so you can control power output
- Programmable step mashing
- Delayed heating - fill your Grainfather with water the night before and wake up to your water at strike temperature ready for brewing straight away
- Change between Celsius and Fahrenheit easily
- Waterproof graphic display
- Lugs at rear which can be changed to suit any Grainfather currently on the market
- Use in manual mode or with app
- Grainfather Grain Kit recipes provided in app
- Import Beer XML files
- Set your own boil temperature (for different altitudes)
- Change between Celsius and Fahrenheit easily
- Grainfather calculators provided in app
NOTE: Required Specifications for the App are:
- Hardware: iPhone 4S or higher
- Software: iOS8 or higher??. Must have Bluetooth 4.0 or higher
- Hardware: Android 4.3 (API Level 18) or higher
- Software: Must have Bluetooth Low Energy (LE)/Bluetooth Smart
Proposition 65 Warning for California Consumers: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm.
The first time I used my new unit, I found that I could not use the wort chiller because the hops in the wort clogged everything to the point that the pump couldn't move the liquid. I resolved the issue by purchasing a wire mesh basket to hook over the top edge of the unit and making sure the hops went into that. It would have been nice if that little bit of wisdom was known before I first used the unit. Even better would be if one could be designed specifically for and sold with the Grainfather.
The Grainfather works great. The 110 volt heating element is slow to get to mash/boil temperature, but that's to be expected. This will be the case with any 110 volt system.
The only real issue is with the app. It's updated fairly frequently, and every update seems to break another part of it.
For the last few brews I've just ignored the app and manually adjusted temperatures. I've had no issues at all operating it manually and my brew days are a breeze.
The Grainfather Connect - Self Contained Electric All Grain Beer Brewing System
Arrived in a timely manner with no damage. I like using it. I have used the Grainfather twice now. The first time I had a stuck sparge but still had good efficiency. The second time I used rice hulls and ended up with a clogged pump and had to wait for the beer to cool in place over night before siphoning out the wort. I would recommend a better filtration system in place (I am trying the robobrew’s false bottom on the next brew) and milling the grain yourself so it is not to finely ground.
I was an extract brewer a long time ago and turned out a few good brews but was never quite satisfied with the quality; some of my beers just weren't smooth enough and had that extract "twang." Plus, it was hard to get enough hop bitterness, flavor, aroma in the extract brews. I thought I would try all-grain and was ready to buy the standard 3-vessel w/ propane burner system when my LHBS told me about the Grainfather. I researched all I could find on all-in-one systems and kept coming back to the Grainfather. $1K is a lot to spend but when I saw a Northern Brewer 20% off sale, I pulled the trigger.
Wow!, did I make the right decision. I've brewed four batches of high-quality beer so far and really enjoy it. The machine is very well designed and built, and the Bluetooth connect to my phone is amazing and easy to use. In order to hit the target specific gravity for a beer I have to use less grain than called for in most recipes since the machine is so efficient. My brewing is not weather-dependent, the machine is easy to clean, and doesn't take up a lot of room when stored. The counterflow chiller is a thermodynamic marvel! It is hard to believe it can chill wort so quickly! After cleaning I use compressed air to blow out the remaining water in the chiller.
I've seen some review comments about the silicone gaskets on the perforated metal plates: it being difficult to slide the plates into place in the basket. I use a sponge to wet-down the inside of the basket and the plates slide right into place, no problem. The instructions say grain dust also works as a lubricant.
I do recommend the following accessories for the Grainfather:
1. The Wortometer placed in the discharge line of the counterflow chiller to monitor the temperature of the cooling wort prior to transferring to the fermenter.
2. Upon the advice of other reviewers I purchased the Graincoat insulation jacket. I have no problems reaching and maintaining a boil.
3. I use a stainless steel mesh kitchen sink strainer placed upside down over the overflow inlet when mashing. Sometimes the recirculating wort goes down the overflow tube and this keeps the few floating grain pieces from getting to the pump.
Brewing still takes some time and effort but the Grainfather makes it a more pleasurable experience. Good luck!