Summer Squeeze Lemon Shandy 1 Gallon Beer Recipe Kit
- Style: American Wheat Beer/Fruit Beer
- Fermentation Range: 59 - 74 F
- OG: 1.045
- SRM: 4.5
- IBUs: 14
- ABV: 4.4%
- Also available in 5 Gallon Extract Kit
- Aroma: Noticeable wheat-like maltiness with moderate fruity esters and pronounced lemon aroma.
- Appearance: Deep golden straw color with a slight haze. Firm, lasting brilliant white foam cap.
- Flavor: Smooth malt character of freshly baked bread with faint notes of water crackers. Low bitterness is just noticeable with prominent, refreshingly tart freshly squeezed lemonade flavors lingering after swallowing.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-low body with moderate creaminess and a slight tartness on the back of the tongue.
- Overall Impression: An easy sipping sessionable ale with well-balanced malt and hop character and a refreshing, lingering lemonade flavor on the finish.
Brewmaster Brad's Thoughts:
"Not much is more refreshing than an ice-cold glass of fresh lemonade, or for that matter, a cold, lower ABV American Wheat Beer. Brewers have known this to be a great combination for a long time, and it is high time for a recipe kit featuring this classic combination. The base beer is a simple American Wheat with moderately low bitterness and then it is dosed with real, all-natural, preservative-free crystallized lemon. Not to be confused with lemonade mixes or soft drink mixes, the crystallized lemon in this recipe is just that -- lemon. Since the crystallized lemon contains no sugar, the beer gets a delicious dose of lemonade flavor without adding additional fermentables that could lead to a renewed fermentation or possible over-carbonation in the bottle. Give this one a whirl, it is truly a refreshing treat even for the biggest of hop heads."
|Total Time to Make||6 weeks|
|Beer Style||American Wheat Beer, Fruit Beer|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|
I’m not a shandy drinker but my wife drinks them almost exclusively in the summer. This as well received and super easy to brew.
Base level this is a pretty good beer.
The easiest kit I've brewed so far.
Bright white, almost ice cream-like head that laces the glass nicely.
Light malt with a VERY subtle tartness at the finish.
Bit of a sleeper pint if you drink it too fast (like I did) and wonder why you're a bit swimmy-headed once you're empty. A happy accident.
If you're hoping for a Leinenkugel Shandy clone this may disappoint. I'm a fan of stronger flavors so the teeny, tiny bag of crystallized lemon included wasn't nearly enough. The instructions say to put that in to the fermentor for the primary but the flavor didn't survive. I did 14 days in primary, 30 days in secondary, 14 days in bottle before drinking.
Next round I would double the amount of lemon and add it right before bottling.
One of the easier recipe, even for already simple extract method. The taste isn't all that special, and the citric taste isn't strong, but overall good summer drink. Will try the all grain version next time.
Was expecting more of a pronounced lemon note. My batch came out tasting pretty much like wheat beer with a small hint of lemon flavor. Not bad overall if you like wheat beef flavor
Beer didn't turn out as expected. Delivery service delivered kit to the wrong address and sat out in 95 degree temperature for 2 days before the residents of the house it was delivered to returned home and gave it to me. Not the best conditions for yeast to be in!