You are shopping Northern Brewer US shopping site, to view our Canadian shopping site - Click Here
- Product Details
The Grainfather Conical Fermenter has been designed to give you the best in fermenting performance! It was designed with the “Golden Angle” of 60°, the optimum angle for dropping yeast to the bottom without clinging to the sides. Make the jump today and control your fermentation temperature, minimize oxygen exposure, and clean up in minutes.
Control the fermentation temperature by simply replacing the included temperature display with the Digital Controller to accurately dial in the ideal temperature and also includes an option to set up to a 5 stage temperature schedule.
Cooling Pump Kit
The Grainfather Cooling Pump Kit makes it easy to lower your fermentation temperature of the Grainfather Conical Fermenter. Operated with the Digital Controller, it’s designed to regulate and stabilize the fermentation temperature by pumping cold water through the double jacketed walls. And in just one fell swoop, you can target the perfect temperature for better beer! Simply connect the couplers and insulated hoses to the Conical Fermenter and pump, submerge the pump into the cooler of ice water, and the Cooling Pump Kit will circulate cold water through the jacketed walls of the Grainfather Conical Fermenter body as needed to sustain the desired fermentation temperature.
- 304 stainless steel double walled fermenter.
- Integrated gentle heating: 30W, 12V heating element.
- Integrated cooling sleeve that can be hooked up to the Cooling Pump Kit or the Grainfather Glycol Chiller (coming soon).
- Golden Angle Conical of 60° for yeast to drop down to the bottom
- Digital Temperature Display (does not control temperature).
- 8 Gallon Capacity.
- Wide opening for easy, hassle free cleaning.
- Stainless steel lid with integrated silicone seal and included rubber stopper and airlock.
- Cone Plug and Seal
- 6.5’ power cord
- Modular system to build up your brewery to your own specifications.
- Innovative Dual Valve (available separately)
- Digital Controller to control temperature and set a schedule/profile
- Cooling Pump Kit to lower the fermentation temperature into the ideal range
Height - 36" (43" with Airlock)
Diameter - 14.5" (with Handles)
- Additional Information
- 4.5 / 5.02 ReviewsGreat product with some fairly easily correctable flawsI bought mine about a month ago here, and just got a chance to brew for the first time yesterday. I'd give it a 4-1/2 if that were possible.
Pros: excellent temperature control; the ingenious Dual Valve works like a charm. There's a glycol chiller that runs around $1,000, but I don't need that much chilling. I hooked up an aquarium pump; dropped a couple of one-gallon milk jugs filled with water into the sink, and recirculated the cold water through the cooling jacket. It took the wort down from 79 to 64 in about an hour and a half.
Cons: it's almost impossible to work around the bottom of the thing. The legs are thick and close together; there's no space to get your hands in there, let alone something to catch the trub from the valve. It would benefit from a redesign of the base. Fittings are metric, and yes, I understand that that's our fault and not New Zealand's - but a conversion kit would have been appreciated. I found some M16-to-1/2" fittings which work fine.
Very happy with the purchase.October 16, 2017Purchased
2 months agoResponse from Northern BrewerThank you for the feedback! We actually suggest sticking with the barb on the bottom of the conical, so the fittings should require unless you are making something special. We will have Customer Service contact you for some additional information.November 2, 2017Todd JStaffExcellent ControlAlready a Grainfather owner and fan, the fermentor is compact, easy to use and clean. I recently did my first brew with the temperamentalWyeast 3724 Belgian Saison strain that likes to ferment hot (88-90F). This fermentor kept it right where it needed to be and moved right past the dreaded 1.036 stall (open fermentation). It was simple and easy to drop the trub out and sample the beer for hydrometer readings (through the dual valve). Great piece of equipment just like the Grainfather.September 19, 2017
- Browse 6 questions Browse 6 questions and 3 answerscan the cooling lines be hooked up to an ice chest of chilled water where the ice chest would contain a pump that could be hooked up to the cooling line?Can you seal off the Bung hole in the lid and carbonate the beer in the fermenter?Is Northern Brewer also stocking the Glycol Chiller or planning to do so in the future?BEST ANSWER: We do have plans to but at this time do not have an ETA.Attn Northern Brewer. In regards to cooling kit please see youtube video by searching Grainfather Cooling Kit (as I'm not allowed to include links in this post). This cooling kit by Grainfather provides a way to integrate cooling into the fermentor without the need of the gycol chiller. Will you be selling the grainfather Cooling Pump Kit? It seems the critical part of this kit is the power cord that allows you to integrate an external pump into the controller on the fermentor.Is the entire system metric?BEST ANSWER: The volume marks on the side of the fermenter are in both liters and gallons. The temperature controller can be toggled between Celsius and Fahrenheit, but note that it comes set for Celsius out of the box. Very easy to switch.is there a version of 220VAC 50Hz power for international use for heater and glycol chiller?BEST ANSWER: Thanks for contacting Northern Brewer. I understand you are looking for a 220vac Grainfather Conical Fermentor. At this time, we are only selling the 120 volt system as that is the rate of current used in the United States. Cheers!