You are shopping Northern Brewer US shopping site, to view our Canadian shopping site - Click Here
- Product Details
The Grainfather Conical Fermenter has been designed to give you the best in fermenting performance. Featuring the “Golden Angle” of 60°, the optimum angle for dropping yeast to the bottom without clinging to the sides, you'll have no problem getting a clearer beer faster than standard, flat-bottomed fermenters.
Dual Valve Tap
Using the same concepts used in commercial breweries, the Dual Valve Tap ensures easy sampling and transferring while retaining the ability to dump or harvest yeast for reuse.
Control the fermentation temperature by accurately dialing in the ideal temperature. Also includes an option to set up to 4 fermentation profiles, each with up to 5 temperature stages.
- 304 stainless steel double-walled fermenter.
- Integrated gentle heating: 30W, 12V heating element.
- Integrated cooling sleeve that can be hooked up to the Cooling Pump Kit or the Grainfather Glycol Chiller (coming soon).
- 60° cone angle for yeast to drop down to the bottom
- 8 Gallon Capacity.
- Wide opening for easy, hassle-free cleaning.
- Stainless steel lid with integrated silicone seal and included rubber stopper and airlock.
- Cone Plug and Seal
- 6.5’ power cord
- Modular system to build up your brewery to your own specifications.
Height - 36" (43" with Airlock)
Diameter - 14.5" (with Handles)
- Additional Information
- 4.8 / 5.04 ReviewsGreat product...lots of fun!Great product. Works very efficiently. The heating is quite precise and holds temperature well. Look forward to the pressure transfer kit being available in the US.January 21, 2018Purchased
5 months agoWorks greatThe fermentor is very easy to use and is easy to set up. I have only brewed one beer so far using the grainfather SS conical fermentor and it came out great. Using the cooling pump and a cooler with water and 2 frozen Gatorade bottles that I switched out every 12 hours I was easily able to maintain 65°F fermentation temperature. I was also able to raise the beer temp near the end of fermentation to make sure the beer finished out. The dual valve was also useful to allow me to dump the trub and I hooked a tube up to the sampling line and ran the beer out into a keg to limit the oxygen exposure. The fermentor does weigh like 25 lbs or so which makes cleaning it a little more difficult then the plastic carboys that I had been using. Also the price is a little steep but since I live in a small apartment this is a great way to get fermentation temp control in a small area without the use of another refrigerator. It can all fit in my brewing closet when I'm not using it. Overall I like the fermentor and would recommend it.Added Dec 26, 2017December 26, 2017Purchased
5 months agoGreat product with some fairly easily correctable flawsI bought mine about a month ago here, and just got a chance to brew for the first time yesterday. I'd give it a 4-1/2 if that were possible.
Pros: excellent temperature control; the ingenious Dual Valve works like a charm. There's a glycol chiller that runs around $1,000, but I don't need that much chilling. I hooked up an aquarium pump; dropped a couple of one-gallon milk jugs filled with water into the sink, and recirculated the cold water through the cooling jacket. It took the wort down from 79 to 64 in about an hour and a half.
Cons: it's almost impossible to work around the bottom of the thing. The legs are thick and close together; there's no space to get your hands in there, let alone something to catch the trub from the valve. It would benefit from a redesign of the base. Fittings are metric, and yes, I understand that that's our fault and not New Zealand's - but a conversion kit would have been appreciated. I found some M16-to-1/2" fittings which work fine.
Very happy with the purchase.October 16, 2017Purchased
8 months agoResponse from Northern BrewerThank you for the feedback! We actually suggest sticking with the barb on the bottom of the conical, so the fittings should require unless you are making something special. We will have Customer Service contact you for some additional information.November 2, 2017Todd J StaffExcellent ControlAlready a Grainfather owner and fan, the fermentor is compact, easy to use and clean. I recently did my first brew with the temperamentalWyeast 3724 Belgian Saison strain that likes to ferment hot (88-90F). This fermentor kept it right where it needed to be and moved right past the dreaded 1.036 stall (open fermentation). It was simple and easy to drop the trub out and sample the beer for hydrometer readings (through the dual valve). Great piece of equipment just like the Grainfather.September 19, 2017
- Browse 7 questions Browse 7 questions and 4 answerscan the cooling lines be hooked up to an ice chest of chilled water where the ice chest would contain a pump that could be hooked up to the cooling line?Can you seal off the Bung hole in the lid and carbonate the beer in the fermenter?Attn Northern Brewer. In regards to cooling kit please see youtube video by searching Grainfather Cooling Kit (as I'm not allowed to include links in this post). This cooling kit by Grainfather provides a way to integrate cooling into the fermentor without the need of the gycol chiller. Will you be selling the grainfather Cooling Pump Kit? It seems the critical part of this kit is the power cord that allows you to integrate an external pump into the controller on the fermentor.Is Northern Brewer also stocking the Glycol Chiller or planning to do so in the future?BEST ANSWER: We do have plans to but at this time do not have an ETA.Hi - do you have an estimate of when this will be back in stock?BEST ANSWER: Hi there- we do not have an ETA at this time. Sorry for any inconvenience! Cheers!Is the entire system metric?BEST ANSWER: The volume marks on the side of the fermenter are in both liters and gallons. The temperature controller can be toggled between Celsius and Fahrenheit, but note that it comes set for Celsius out of the box. Very easy to switch.is there a version of 220VAC 50Hz power for international use for heater and glycol chiller?BEST ANSWER: Thanks for contacting Northern Brewer. I understand you are looking for a 220vac Grainfather Conical Fermentor. At this time, we are only selling the 120 volt system as that is the rate of current used in the United States. Cheers!