You are shopping Northern Brewer US shopping site, to view our Canadian shopping site - Click Here
- Product Details
To bring you an extremely limited run of this unprecedented recipe, we braved the jungles of San Diego to secure the only existing samples of Australian Ale Yeast from the White Labs Vault. It's a truly spectacular strain. Fresh, ravenous and raring to tear through your wort, fermenting the beer dry, then dropping out of suspension rapidly, leaving a very clear, clean brew in its wake.
White Labs keeps its specialty strains under lock and key, releasing strictly limited quantities into the wild. And we scored every last vial of Australian Ale yeast in the Vault, so if you want to savor the clean malt flavors this rare yeast yields, better bag this trophy beer kit now. Roaring with robust Australian Galaxy hops, raging with tropical aromas, Taz is aggressive on the palate, then quickly relaxes into a creamy balance against sparkling, silky Maris Otter malt. Devilishly delicious and so limited, it will be extinct before you know it. Sink your claws into this unique Limited Edition recipe kit while you still can.Brewing Notes
- Style: Australian IPA
- Fermentation Range: 65 70F
- OG: 1.062
- SRM: 5
- IBUs: 60
- ABV: 6.2%
- Aroma: Moderate malt aromas of fresh bread crust. Dominant passionfruit, citrus, dark stone fruits with supporting but subdued notes of floral and herbal earthiness.
- Appearance: Brilliant golden straw to light orange color with good clarity. Bright white foam head with moderate lacing.
- Flavor: Smooth, clean bready malt character with hints of crackers. Prominent tropical fruit flavors with undertones of tangerine like citrus and very faint spiciness. Moderate to low alcohol sweetness.
- Mouthfeel: Medium body with a smooth, long finish with fading bitterness as the sip is swallowed.
- Overall Impression: A really well balanced hop-forward ale with perfectly supporting malt background. Fruity in flavor and both fruity and earthy in aroma.
Tasmanian Devil IPA is a showcase of clean malt character and the bold flavors of Australian hops and ale yeast. 3 ounces of Galaxy hops provide this recipe with awesome hop flavors and aromas of prominent citrus, tropical fruit and faint earthiness. Coupled with exclusive White Labs Yeast Vault Australian Ale yeast specially ordered just for this recipe kit, the resulting beer is stunningly complex. This great yeast strain is a bit of a beast, boasting relatively high attenuation to dry the beer out, good flocculation characteristics to produce a clear beer, and restrained flavors to let the grain bill and hop charges really stand out.
- Additional Information
Beer Kit Yield 5 Gallons Recipe and Instructions Click Here for Tasmanian Devil Australian IPA Kit Brewing Instructions Regional Style British Original Gravity 1062 Total Time to Make 6 weeks
- 5.0 / 5.05 ReviewsWOWPeachy ice tea best describes flavor. Great head peachy undertone with a little dirty flavor. Can't wait till next year will do 20 gals instead of 10. This from an all grain brewer.July 10, 2015Crikey! Now that's a beer!This beer did not last long at all, and for a very good reason. Everyone that had a taste, had to have another, and another, and maybe just a little bit more. That is a very good problem to have.We actually screwed up a little on this one and came in at 1.060. Didn't matter at all! The beer had such a perfectly balanced profile that we honestly didn't care. The Australian yeast did a great job fermenting out to 1.010 and cleaned up perfectly with no traces of diacetyl in the brew. There's only two words to describe the nose on this beer: Dead SEXY!. Those Galaxy hops threw off such great peach aromas that many who tried the beer spent almost as much time smelling their pints as they did drinking. The Pride of Ringwood hops did a great job of providing nice clean bitterness without going overboard. The malt profile was just as described, a little bready and dry on the finish.Overall this beer was sensory experience that got people talking, and they're still talking about it 2 months later. I can't think of a better compliment than that. Please bring this one back, cause we can't get enough of it down here!June 22, 2015A Great Limited ReleaseSince this is a limited release I guess this review is more directed to those who plan on buying it next year. When I decided on buying this kit I was on the verge of transitioning to all grain and was hesitant on buying another extract kit, but since it was only available in an extract version I bought it. Other than the fact that the beer came out a bit lighter than pictured, I can't say enough good things about this kit. It was an extremely easy brew day and the final product was one of the first extract beers that didn't have that distinct "extract flavor" that so many people complain about. A great aroma and flavor profile of juicy citrus and peach that is easy drinking even for the ABV being what it is. It is one of those beers that I want to be selfish about and keep it all for myself, but at the same time want to show it off to friends and family.With that being said I'm planning on making an all grain version with a more available yeast so this can be brewed again. Don't hesitate when this becomes available again because it won't last long!June 15, 2015The TasI cannot give this kit a true rating yet, but have given the kit five stars because this is the first kit (of the 16 that I have brewed) to overflow through the 3 pc bubbler in a 6.5 gallon bucket. The Galaxy and Pride of Ringwood hops aroma are spectacular. I started fermentation at about 73 degrees and I think it got to 75 before I moved it to the basement. It is still bubbling, but not near as crazy. My OG was a litte bit higher than expected at 1.070. I did try to lower with the addition of a 1/2 gallon of water. Either way this brew is appropriately named... it looks to be a beast of a beer!!!May 6, 2015This is going to be AWESOMEI like to change things up a bit even when I do the kits so I flipped the extract additions. I got a 1.068 og and then a 1.01 fg and the taste that I had from the thief when transferring to the bottling bucket is INSANELY good. It has strong tangerine and grapefruit undertones and then a bit of bitterness at the end. This is great...I am going to try an AG version...this will be a staple!April 26, 2015
- Browse 3 questions Browse 3 questions and 3 answersSince this is a limited yeast strain available, will a starter be required or will this yeast be likely ready to go directly into the wort?BEST ANSWER: Hi there- it is never a bad idea to do a starter with liquid yeast! With this beer's OG, I would definitely recommend it. Cheers!How long will the yeast last in the fridge? Thinking of picking up two.BEST ANSWER: Hi there- the manufacturer recommends using it within 6 months of the manufactured date. Cheers!When will this kit be available again?BEST ANSWER: Hi Wayne,
I'm sorry to say that this was a limited release and we do not expect to have it available again.