- Product Details
- This monolith of an ale can be a bit tricky to brew—the nearly irrational quantity of hops are a monster to handle. Due to massive hop additions, The Plinian Progeny recipe has been formulated to produce 6 gallons of wort. The extra gallon makes up for loss due to the excessive trub you’ll find at both the bottom of the kettle from boil additions and in your fermentor from dry-hopping.
It may be appealing to use a hop boiling bag, but beware—keeping the hops quarantined will limit hop utilization and the resulting bitterness, flavor and aroma necessary for a triple IPA will be diminished. For the most intense hop experience, abide by the 6-gallon recommendation and enjoy the Plinian Progeny in its infancy—its best hop character fades with age.
- Additional Information
Beer Kit Yield 5 Gallons Recipe and Instructions The Plinian Progeny Triple IPA Complete Instructions Regional Style USA Original Gravity 1090 Total Time to Make 2 months
- 4.0 / 5.01 ReviewA Hop MonsterBrewing this extract kit solo was a challenge given the number of hop additions and volume of the boil, but so far the effort has paid off. If ya got a buddy who's interested, have them tag along on brew day.I have an 8 gallon pot and did a 5 gallon boil, topping off to 6 gallons in the primary. Head space in the brew kettle was at a premium with the trub so almost constant string was needed during the 90min boil to prevent boil overs. Prepared a 3L yeast starter of WLP001 for this brew and O.G. was 1.098! I'm writing today as I rack this to the secondary and gravity readings are coming in around 1.019 (~79% attenuation) so final ABV for this thing is looking on par with the directions circa 10.3-10.5%.Tasting the sample between primary and secondary, I get a very citrus/grapefruit forward hop presence that evolves into a nice piney finish. Still LOTS of hops to add so likely a very premature analysis, nonetheless, man I am excited to see what the final product will be!December 20, 2015
- Browse 3 questions Browse 3 questions and 4 answersHow many pounds of extract and what variety are included with this kit?BEST ANSWER: Ente- 3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup (90 minutes)
- 3 lbs Pilsen DME (90 minutes)
- 6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup (15 min late addition)
- 1.6 lbs Corn Sugar (0 min late additionr an answer to this question.What yeast option is best?BEST ANSWER: the three options they show will all give very similar results. you need to grow out a big batch of yeast or use two or three packs
if you want to make it really special try Vermont yeast. you will need a huge starter of Vermont. I make them right in the fermentorLeaf hops or pellets ?BEST ANSWER: Kit comes with pellets but the hop shots are an extract.