The Plinian Progeny Limited Edition Extract Recipe Kit
As American as excess itself, The Plinian Progeny is an overgrown nephew and adopted son to the best-selling Plinian Legacy. The only limited part of this triple IPA is the limited one-hundred kits we’ve released. Full-bodied with extreme hop character, the explosive citrus, pine and grapefruit resins are barely balanced by a huge 10% ABV.
Featuring three hop shots and 19 oz. of hops made up of nearly every iconic American favorite from Centennial to Simcoe, impressionable palates beware. The complex, overpowering citrus profile of The Plinian Progeny does not fade as quickly as its youthful namesake.
- Style: Imperial IPA
- Fermentation Range: 60-73F
- Original Gravity: 1.090
- SRM: 6
- IBUs: 150+
- ABV: 10.0%
- Aroma: Faint backbone of slightly sweet malt, but dominated by the hops. Generous aromas of citrus, pine, dank resin, and fruit dominate the nose from dry-hopping.
- Appearance: Deep golden to orangeish color. Clarity is a bit low due to massive dry hop additions. Nice, firm, long-lasting, white head laces all the way to the bottom of your glass.
- Flavor: Malt is not prominent. Flavor is dominated by a complex hop character of fruit, citrus, pine, and resin. Clean fermentation profile. Balance is decidedly towards the hops. Long, lingering bitter finish sticks on the palate.
- Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Faint alcohol warmth on the finish. No astringency.
This monolith of an ale can be a bit tricky to brew—the nearly irrational quantity of hops is a monster to handle. Due to massive hop additions, The Plinian Progeny recipe has been formulated to produce 6 gallons of wort. The extra gallon makes up for loss due to the excessive trub you’ll find at both the bottom of the kettle from boil additions and in your fermentor from dry-hopping.
It may sound appealing to use a hop boiling bag, but beware—keeping the hops quarantined will limit hop utilization and the resulting bitterness, flavor and aroma necessary for a triple IPA will be diminished. For the most intense hop experience, abide by the 6-gallon recommendation and enjoy the Plinian Progeny in its infancy—its best hop character fades with age.
|Total Time to Make||8 weeks|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|