Hank's Hefeweizen All Grain Beer Recipe Kit
This recipe has been in our stable for nearly 20 years and has proven to be one of our most popular wheat beer recipes. Originally created by a homebrewer named Hank, this delicious German-style ale utilizes the famous Weihenstephan wheat yeast strain to produce the time-honored flavor profile of spicy clove phenolics and distinctive banana ester profile. Paired with American malts and hops, this recipe brings this Bavarian classic over the pond to spread the joy of hefeweizen for all to enjoy. Expect a hazy, deep golden ale with a firm and lasting white head and heaps of flavors consisting of soft, luscious wheat notes, medium-low bitterness and fermentation-derived flavors ranging from spicy clove to ripe banana. Brew up a batch and keep the legend of Hank alive.
- Style: Hefeweizen
- Fermentation Range: 65-70 F
- Original Gravity: 1.052
- SRM: 5
- IBUs: 16
- ABV: 5.1%
- Aroma: Moderate bready wheat malt aroma plays second fiddle to prominent clove phenolics and fruity banana esters. No hop aroma.
- Appearance: Deep golden in color with a medium-high haziness. Bright white and lasting foam head.
- Flavor: Moderate, balanced flavors of banana and clove are the most noticeable, with plush, bready, and slightly grainy wheat malt flavors in the background. Low hop bitterness balances any perceived malt sweetness. Finishes dry with no hop flavor.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-low body without any overly heavy character. Very smooth and soft on the palate with moderate creaminess and a velvety finish.
“Hefeweizen has long been a go-to style for beer enthusiasts due to its high drinkability and complex flavor profile. This particular recipe has been in our recipe hoard for nearly 20 years, and it does not disappoint. Melding classic German weizen yeast with American base malts and hops creates a rich flavor and smooth body that is perfect for any time a complex yet easy sipping beer is desired.”
Looking for the Extract Version?
|Total Time to Make||6 weeks|
|Beer Style||German Ale|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|
I brewed the all grain kit on my Grainfather. The resulting beer was great and now is one of my favorite beers to brew . I would recommend adding rice hulls to the mash for good flow
Second brew kit from Northern Brewer. It came out pretty nice. A little off from what I expected, but very drinkable. Would have given it 5 stars, but the package arrived with liquid yeast that wasn’t kept cold enough so I had To buy more. Damn the pandemic and it’s effect on shipping times. But thanks Northern Brewer for having an easy to follow recipe, that brews a good beer.
Smells like a good beer, will be drinking it on Saturday
The kit was shipped on time and with the correct ingredients. This is the second hefe I’ve brewed, but the first was an extract kit. The this beer turned out great! I used Danstar Munich Classic to ferment, came out fruitier and less spicy than I would’ve liked, but that’s the yeast not the recipe kit. Would definitely brew again!
Love the ease of making this one - made 3 versions of Hefeweizen's this summer. My favorite, flavorful summer beer that everyone enjoys!