Hank's Hefeweizen Extract Beer Recipe Kit
This recipe has been in our stable for nearly 20 years, and has proven to be one of our most popular wheat beer recipes. Originally created by a homebrewer named Hank, this delicious German style ale utilizes the famous Weihenstephan wheat yeast strain to produce the time-honored flavor profile of spicy clove phenolics and distinctive banana ester profile. Paired with American malts and hops, this recipe brings this Bavarian classic over the pond to spread the joy of hefeweizen for all to enjoy. Expect a hazy, deep golden ale with a firm and lasting white head and heaps of flavors consisting of soft, luscious wheat notes, medium-low bitterness and fermentation derived flavors ranging from spicy clove to ripe banana. Brew up a batch and keep the legend of Hank alive.
- Style: Hefeweizen
- Fermentation Range: 65-70F
- Original Gravity: 1.052
- SRM: 5
- IBUs: 16
- ABV: 5.1%
- Aroma: Moderate bready wheat malt aroma plays second fiddle to prominent clovey phenolics and fruity banana esters. No hop aroma.
- Appearance: Deep golden in color with a medium-high haziness. Bright white and lasting foam head.
- Flavor: Moderate, balanced flavors of banana and clove are the most noticeable, with plush, bready and slightly grainy wheat malt flavors in the background. Low hop bitterness balances any perceived malt sweetness. Finishes dry with no hop flavor.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-low body without any overly heavy character. Very smooth and soft on the palate with moderate creaminess and a velvety finish.
“Hefeweizen has long been a go-to style for beer enthusiasts due to it high drinkability and complex flavor profile. This particular recipe has been in our recipe hoard for nearly 20 years, and it does not disappoint. Melding classic German weizen yeast with American base malts and hops creates a rich flavor and smooth body that is perfect for anytime a complex yet easy sipping beer is desired.”
|Total Time to Make||6 weeks|
|Beer Style||German Ale|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|