Mango Fusion Kolsch Extract Recipe Kit
In a historically unlikely pairing, a classic Kolsch meets tropical mango in this immensely pleasing recipe. Soft, slightly grainy pilsner malt, a gentle bitterness and a traditional German yeast strain lays the foundation for engaging synergy with juicy mango flavor to produce an incredibly easy drinking and refreshing beer. Mango Fusion Kolsh's mild ester profile courtesy of the specialized yeast strain mingles perfectly with ripe mango nuances to create a stunning harmony of flavors. Mixing the tradition of Cologne, Germany with deliciously lush notes of tropical mango opens a whole new world of elegance.
- Style: Kolsch/Fruit Beer
- Fermentation Range: 62-66°F
- Original Gravity: 1.049
- SRM: 4
- IBU: 23
- ABV: 5.0%
- Aroma: Faint sweet and somewhat grainy malt aroma with no hop character with a prominent ripe mango note in the foreground. Clean fermentation aroma.
- Appearance: Yellow-gold color with good clarity but a slight yeast haze. Brilliant white foam head forms well, but dissipates over time.
- Flavor: Medium to low soft sweet malt flavors with low bitterness and no hop flavor. Rich mango flavors dominate the palate but do not overpower the base beer. Clean fermentation character with no diacetyl. Long fruit finish with medium to low residual sweetness.
- Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth and quite crisp.
Looking for the All-Grain Version?
|Total Time to Make||6 weeks|
|Beer Style||Fruit Beer or Spice|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|
Notes from Brad, Northern Brewer Head Brewer:
“Yes, it has been done before, as mango and the delicate nature of the Kolsch style seem to be made for each other. So, that begs the question, why not do it again? While the base beer and mangoes certainly come from completely different parts of the world, the nexus of these two is something of a synergistic flavor dance party. The fresh, bready and slightly sweet malt foundation of the beer is met with a single and modest hop addition to really balance the complexion of the underlying Kolsch. Fermenting this recipe with a traditional Kolsch strain at cooler temperatures (think 60 - 65F depending on yeast selection) help to keep any fermentation-derived flavor compounds to a minimum and allow a gentle ester profile of apple and faint stone fruit to remain. This modest level of esters in the finished beer sets the stage perfectly for the addition of complementary ripe mango flavor.
The Silver Cloud flavoring extract provided in this recipe kit is the best we have ever found, with true to nature flavors and aromas. Please note that you will not use the entire bottle of flavoring in this batch, so it is necessary to measure it to make your flavoring addition at the bottling/kegging step. The starting recommendation is to start with adding 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the extract to the new beer and then slowly add more until you have reached the desired mango flavor intensity. Personally, the sweet spot for my tastes is 20 ml. This will provide a noticeable mango flavor. Welcome to the, errr, tropical part of Germany... ”