October 23, 2018
Bad Ass Burton Ale Recipe
As brewed by Bryon Adams in Brewing TV - Episode 40: Bad Ass Brewery. Inspired by "Absent Friends Burton Ale" recipe from Zymurgy magazine (Jan/Feb 2011). See back issue for history on style and tips/tricks to brewing a bodacious beer.
- Details for 10-gallon batch
- Original Gravity (post-boil): 1.084
- - 26 lbs Maris Otter
- - 0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
- - 2 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings (first wort hops)
- - 16 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings (90 min)
- - 3 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings (dry hops after aging 12-18 months)
Yeast - Wyeast 1945 NB NeoBritannia (two-step starter)
- ** See episode for pre-mill malt conditioning method **
- - Mash-in @ 150F
- - Rest for 60 min
- - Sparge with 169F water until 12 gallons collected
- - Add 2 oz FWH whole leaf East Kent Goldings hops as kettle fills with wort
- - At near-boil start adding and stirring in 16 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings hops (good luck!)
- - Boil 90 min
- - Chill and transfer to fermentor. Pitch yeast.
- - Rack to secondary at SG 1.017.
- - Store and mature 12-18 months.
- - Prior to bottling/kegging, dry hop with 3 oz East Kent Goldings for two weeks.