The Plinian Legacy Small Batch Recipe Extract Kit
Brewed with Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo® and Simcoe®, this quintessential double IPA is an homage to the #1 beer in America, as voted by the AHA, and one of the most sought-after brews of the last decade. Brew it for yourself with one of our most popular Double IPA recipe kits.
In true west coast style, this famously fragrant IIPA beer kit features an uncomplicated yet sturdy malt backbone to which outlandish amounts of hops are added. It has a fine balance of malt, hoppy bitterness, and warming alcohol, with a fresh hop aroma of floral citrus, and pine. Bittered with pure essence of hop, flavored with massive kettle additions, and featuring not one, but two dry hoppings, it is the first and last word when it comes to the ultimate hoppy homebrew. There is no need to stash this Imperial IPA away as it is intended to be enjoyed fresh, before the delicate hop aromas fade. Get ready to experience the ultimate lupulin threshold shift!
|Total Time to Make||4 weeks|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|
I am a brewing amateur and made this clone. It is comparable to top tier beers.
This was by first brew ever, so with time and experience, I think I could brew this better.
I did have difficulty with the bottling process and oxygen got into the beer, so that might have affected the taste.
I am writing this review while drinking my very first bottle that has been conditioned exactly two weeks. It also has been very cold here as well as in the house (sometimes as cold as 57F but usually between 65-68F) and I think that affected the fermentation process, including the bottle conditioning.
I only saw active fermentation in the fermenter for about 3-4 days. It took about 2 days to start, again, it’s cold here so...
There are a lot of hops that smell amazing! I love the variety.
This also made for a cloudy beer, but who cares.
Mine poured a deep, raw honey color with a tint of red. Head foamed in very large, but thin bubbles that dissapated quickly and left almost no lacing.
Smell is surprisingly of candy (perhaps not all of the fizz drops were consumed by the yeast) I’ve never smelled this in any beer before.
Smells is fruity, citrusy, lychee, jam, and floral
Taste: surprisingly different than the smell! The long boil of the first set of hops brings out a nice bitterness, floral is more prominent, a little bit of pine, and a lot of fruity nectar.
Mouthfeel is full bodied and fairly smooth, with a nice warming of the alcohol, not much carbonation, but enough.
I’d be interested to see what would happen if I brewed this again under different conditions. It will also be interesting to let a few of these bottles sit for a while to develop more flavors. However, I’m concerned with the addition of so much oxygen I shouldn’t let this batch sit too long.
Anyway, worth a try and even with all the “problems” I had, it is still very tasty, albeit more sweet than a normal IPA, but I think that’s my fault.
I haven’t made it yet - but I DON’T understand the packet of 5 Oz of corn sugar which says (on the packet) “for 5 gallon yeast priming”. The Plinian one gallon recipe says to add the full 5 Oz of sugar to the wort during boiling. But That’s alot of sugar to add to a one gallon recipe. Can somebody please clear up what to do ?
I made this brew a while back as an attempt to do a small batch while living in a condo. I have brewed several 5 gallon efforts with a friend, but this was a nice way for me to brew at home without a lot of space.
The kit came with more hops than the recipe actually called for, so I went ahead used the few extra grams of hops at the end (Hop Stand step). The beer was great, had a strong aroma and flavor, was very sticky or resinous. At the time, I thought it was more like Lagunitas Waldo's Special than Pliny. No complaints though, I wanted to turn out good beer and was not concerned with a perfect match to the beer in which the kit was named.
brew process went well; only issue was not enough carbonation after bottling - need to look into why that should be